Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Little Things

So, this summer we have been growing a garden. It is Guapo and I's first, and lets say we have learned a lot.
Lesson 1: When you have a family of 2 don't plant zucchini.
Lesson 2: Just because it is an onion start doesn't mean it will grow well.
Lesson 3: Peas don't like the heat even if I do.
Lesson 4: Fertilizer, plants need it. Dirt is good for awhile but eventually they need something more.
Lesson 5: Tomatoes really do grow just look at this one.
Gaupo has been wanting me to add this picture forever, and this plant really is over 6ft. tall. 
We have learned other lessons from our little garden, but mostly we have learned it takes practice to get things right, and it is really a blessing to watch things grow and to work together. Our garden has been a really good producer of tomatoes and zucchini, which the people at work have really liked.

Our other little adventure has been that we found out we are going to be parents! Yes, this is exciting and scary news. Even though it is scary we are very excited and being the people we are could announce it by simpling calling, or posting and saying we are pregnant, so below is how several groups of people found out.

The biggest group we told was the Facebook world. This was my status...
If you can't read it, it says" This weekend I baked delicious little cookies with a peanut butter surprise inside. I have been baking in my other oven for about 14 weeks now, and whats inside we are not sure, but we are excited to become parents."

The next biggest happened when we were in at Firey's homecoming. That is where we told most of the extended family and it came with sayings like this
   "...yeah I can't believe I am going to be an Aunt, but it is even crazier I am going to be a Mom."
   "...yeah when we start our family in March..."
   "...well I have to start looking bigger sometime, I am going to have a baby."
   "...Pop!" (this is made with hands at your belly going out as you say Pop)
Those are just the ones I remember, but all of them were dropped in the context of a conversation and most of our relatives had to do a double take on, what we had just said. It was very subtle, but everyones expressions were just great. So, thank you everyone for being happy and surprised, and catching the nonchalant hints.

The last, but not the smallest group we told was the group at work. Some background on this is that in my office have a purchasing board. On this board people write what they want me to buy by writing down the part number, a description, quantity, and who requested it. Then it is my job to buy it. So, to announce it at work I created a part number that fit our raw materials formula (3x4). The p/n was 313-2012. Then for the description I put a picture from our first ultra sound and the word baby next to it. Under quantity I put 1 and the requested by said Guapo and Adventure Girl. I posted it on Monday, because I share my office with the production manager and every morning all the people that work on the floor come in and have a meeting with him. At first they didn't notice, and then one person looked at my board, point and said "Whose is that?" I said calmly, "Mine." They of course thought I was lying. I said "No really that is mine." Then in true girl fashion they all squealed and made a huge fuss which brought everyone into our office to see what was going on. Anyway it was  perfect, and really funny. I am glad the secret is out it makes it so much more exciting.
The Board

Finally, the smallest group, but the first ones to know were our parents and siblings. I told my mom first just by telling her, and much to my happiness she was excited and almost made me cry. So, technically my mom was the first but everybody else got told through pillowcases. Gaupo and I followed in my brother's footsteps and decided to make something to announce our baby. We decided that pillowcases would be good. So, we painted big monkey heads on them and wrote in puff paint "Our little Monkey's (insert correct title Uncle, Aunt, Grandma, Grandpa)." It worked out perfect for my family because we were doing Christmas in July and we voluteered to do our present first. So, we had everyone close their eyes and then handed them out and then had them open them. My brother's reaction was the BEST. When he read it he looks at me and says "are you serious?" After nodding yes, he rushed over to me practically picked me up off the ground and gave me the biggest hug I have ever received from him. Yes it made me tear, but if the only time I cry are when I tell people I am pregnant I am doing good. Anyway, it was really fun to tell everyone and it was fun to think of all the ways to announce it, but needless to say " We are pregnant, and very excited."
This is a close up. I don't have the picture of the finished ones but all this one is missing is the words.

This is only a few that you can see, we made 14 of these pillowcases.

1 comment:

  1. That facebook post is pretty funny. I can't believe I didn't notice it on fb. I need to spend more time on the computer.

    ReplyDelete