Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Ft. Collins Temple Open House

The Fort Collins Temple is finally having its open house. We have been so excited to go and as soon as Kylee learned that she could go inside she has been dying to go. Well Saturday was our day to go. Our next door neighbors, Amy and Mark, agreed to go with us and it was so great to have them. To be honest I was kind of freaked out by the whole self-guided tour thing, and the there were so many people there when we went it was a little crazy, but it was still good. It was fun to be able to take them through and talk about the things that they had questions about and show the girls the inside of the temple. I loved walking through with Amy and Mark because I felt like they had a real respect for what we believe and were interested in what the temple was. I know we don't believe the same things, but I think it is super great when we can express an interest in those things that are important to those around us.
Kylee, Gaupo, Me, and Tia
Kylee and Tia playing in the fountain.
Kylee and Tia at the temple.
I also felt I should invite my friend Stephanie to come through the open house too. This experience was very different than the one with our neighbors. Stephanie has some issues with the church and is really struggling, so she is not as open as I would have hoped, but I am still glad I took her. It was interesting the questions that she had, and the thing she noticed. She was kind of antagonistic about the money put into temples and didn't even try to understand what things could mean or why we do it. However, when we entered the sealing room, she softened a bit and asked some real questions. I don't know why that room made such a difference especially since she wasn't even sure she wanted to be married and then to share that moment with her parents, but you know I think that there is something about families and being bound together forever that carries a special spirit. I don't know why it happened, but I am glad it did. Once we finished we took some pictures outside the temple and came home.
Stephanie and Me. Photo from Stephanie.

The temple. Photo credit goes to Stephanie.
Both tours were very short and I kind of want to take my girls again and go at a slower time when we can actually slow down and look at what they want to see. I love the temple. I love the peace it brings. I love the covenants and promises that are made there. They give me strength and hope. I can't imagine what it would be like to not know if I was going to see my family ever again. I don't know if I could have born the loss of Derek if it weren't for knowing that if I live worthy I can and will see him again. I love dreaming, because I don't actually know, about him playing or learning from my cousins, or talking to my Grandma, or what he is doing at the exact moment I am thinking about him. The gospel of Jesus Christ and the sealing power give me hope and peace about all those thing being real. I know that families can be together forever. I believe it with all my heart and I have loved sharing the temple with my friends and children. It has been so cool and scary to share one of my favorite places with some really great people. What a great gift to have to be able to have the doors opened for just a short bit. Love this special occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment