Tuesday, December 5, 2017

More Thoughts on Thanksgiving

I should have written my feelings about this vacation sooner, but it didn't happen so you get residual ones I guess. 

Going to Swanlake was just what me and my girls needed.  It was just nice to be there. The home that I was raised in and the home the Gaupo was raised in were very different because we had different lifestyles and parents. Neither, home is better than another and I am so glad that I feel comfortable in both. I am so grateful that Grandma loves to have us come visit even if we can't bring Gaupo for the whole thing. I love that Melanie and Aaron live close. It was a true joy to watch Blaine, James, Kylee, and Tia all play together day after day and all day long. It was fun to let them be and listen or see glimpses of what they were pretending to do. I love the unrestricted access to four-wheelers and beautiful places to go on them. It's true I really only go to the pond and back, but I could do more if I wasn't afraid of going somewhere I shouldn't and if I didn't always have a minimum of two kids with me whenever I went. But, the pond is beautiful and its an easy ride. The kids love it and I love being the cool aunt that will take them. 

Being in Swanlake in the what I call slow time is always nice. It is fun to visit with Grandpa because he is inside and it is easy to do when he is right there. Also, I got visit a lot with Aaron this time and that was really cool. I am continually amazed at his hunting passion, but also the passion he has for his family and life. Late Fall and winter life on the farm is just slower and lends itself to more playing and hanging around which naturally leads to visiting and better bonding. I love going to Swanlake in the summer too, but this time of year has its own special treats. 

I also love that Grandpa lives so close. I always wish there was more time to visit and be in Virginia too because its a special place for me. I love visiting with Grandpa-Great he is always so positive and loves us being there. He loves my girls and Gaupo. It is fun to visit with him, but the thing I miss most about not staying for awhile is exactly what I loved about sticking around Swanlake. I love chilling at my Grandpa's house. I love visiting, but I also love to sit in the office and watch tv. I love to sit around the table and visit all together after a meal. I don't even mind washing dishes by hand there because it gives us another opportunity to visit and just be. My Grandpa and the home he and my grandma created is a very special place filled with wonderful memories and love. So, love that Gaupo's family lives close, so that I can visit with Grandpa-Great even if most times I feel it is too short, because to be honest it would take a really long time for it to not feel that way.

Not only did I love this vacation, but my kids did too. They have always enjoyed Grandma's house, but you know it was good when they say...
  • Kylee said the night before left: "Mom, I am not ready to leave."
  • Tia said the morning we were leaving: "Mom, can we stay forever?"
These kids really had a great time. Kylee loved playing and I think Tia loved the freedom of the farm. She loves to play. She could watch cows, dig in the dirt, jump, swing, play on the four-wheelers, have tons of toys, go outside whenever, and cousins. I don't really know all that Tia loves about the farm, but it is made for her and she really struggles when we come home and there are fences, and rules again.

I feel so grateful to have such a wonderful place to go only 8.5 hours away. Some of you say "only," but considering it takes a lot long for other people and it takes me at least 13 to get to my house 8.5 is not bad. I am so grateful for places, and people that I love and feel comfortable around. I am truly on blessed girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment