Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Potty Training

I thought for sure I had blogged about when I potty trained Kylee, but I went back to look and I didn't. I am can not remember everything about it like what exactly I did, when I was frustrated, how long till we did morning and night, etc. So, I am trying not to make that same mistake again by blogging now. We are not done yet, but at least I will have something to look back on when I do the next one.

We started potty training last Monday. That would make Tia about 22 months old. The reason I decided to do it even though she is still not talking is because I knew she could. She takes of her pants almost everyday, she loves to open the potty and sit on it, she would wipe herself, and she was just highly interested in it. So, we went for it. Monday was pretty bad I don't think we had a single success. Luckily, I was watching Ethan that day and he loves to play outside, so most of the accidents happened outside, which is super convenient. Just so you know, I haven't done the fully commando approach yet, they wear panties and if we are out front or going somewhere they they have pants too. Just in case you want to know. Even though Monday had no success, it wasn't too bad actually.

Tuesday was better. We finally had success. We still had quite a few accidents, but some success. We went shopping even. That is a pretty bold move for day two, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Wednesday, she did really good again. Then Thursday I think we had none. She did so awesome. She went when we were at the doctors office. Lasted the 30 min ride there and back. She went while we were at the park. She just did great. Friday though was horrible. We had messes, tantrums, major failed expectations, and to top all off I was having a kind of rough day too. It was so bad. I just wanted to scream. Poor Gaupo had to hear all about the woes of potty training and the awkward pregnant, but no enough to wear maternity clothes stage. It was one really rough day.

Saturday, we went up to Loveland to find maternity clothes that I could wear, and that I was excited to wear. This was a little risky, but it turned out well. Apparently Tia prefers public restrooms, because I never have a problem getting her to go in them. We had a successful shopping trip. I found somethings I really like, and because they are new they haven't been stretched much so they stay on pretty well.  The rest of Saturday went well and pretty much without problems I think. We even went to our stake carnival, and she used the bathroom there twice and really was a champ. Sunday she did pretty good except the fighting on when she should go kind of started. She didn't really want to go when I needed her to, so one time she didn't sit there long enough and while I was teaching a little lesson in nursery she pooped. I mean the stance that I saw when I came back in the room was actually quite funny, because I knew exactly what had happened. Luckily, it was easy to take care of and went pretty much without incident. The rest of Sunday was good.

Yesterday was good, but then I have started coming down with a cold. Oh man, I am such a grouch when I am sick. All I want to do is veg and have it quite, none of which can happen with kids. So today has been rough. We didn't really have accidents, but she kept pulling on my shirt and trying to look down it, touch my face, fight me, etc. When I am sick these things go over not at all well. 

As you can see we are not done, but on a good start. I need to get it so she will tell me, but it so hard to let go once they can go whenever. I really like not having messes, so to try and wait for her to tell me is just more than I can seem to take right now. I will probably wait till the cold passes to work on this step, but if the fighting me about it gets worse than maybe not. Also, we need to do naps and bedtime, but we have to move her out of her crib first. So, we are getting there, but are still far from being complete.

Notes on things I do: To keep accidents from ruining the stroller when I go running---I have her sit on a plastic bag. To make sure they don't get on the carseat---put a diaper underneath her. Its not strapped on and she still gets wet, but the seat doesn't. I ask her if she needs to go and if its been about and hour then I try to get her to go. Whenever she has an accident, I grab her hand and run with her to the bathroom saying "mommy potty! Mommy potty!" I do this so that she knows that is what I want her to say and also, so she knows that we need to go potty in bathroom. Then once we are on the potty we wipe of legs, get new patties, clean underwear if needed, and then go mop up the mess. Potty training is not for wimps, but it is possible and very nice not to have to change diapers hardly at all.                                                                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment