Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Thanksgiving 2014

This year was Thanksgiving at the Merrill house. We left on Tuesday at pretty close to noon. However, it took us awhile to get gas, and then at Subway there was a line. Then to make us even more late there was a rolled over semi that resulted in major delays. Once we finally got out and past the wreck it was pretty windy sailing. It was so windy. Gaupo and I were so glad we decided to take the Impala and had a hotel reservation for the night. We finally pulled into our hotel around 7:30. We stayed at the Best Western Plus in Kemmer, WY. It is a brand new hotel and I would totally recommended it. It was quite except for the crazy wind outside. It was clean, kind of fancy like a marble shower and counter tops, and fancy kind of furniture. I liked it. The pool was clean and the breakfast was great. Anyway, we wandered around the hotel a bit just finding out where things were and then we got the kids settled into bed. It took Kylee forever to fall asleep, so we didn't get to watch any TV that was a real bummer, but it happens. In the morning Kylee and I went swimming. It was a bit cold for her so we didn't stay in long, but it was fun. Tia would have loved it but she was kind of sick and we needed her to get well, so we didn't even want to chance it. After swimming, we gave the girls a bath and I took a shower and we went to breakfast. Oh man, I think I could have just eaten there all day. They had sausage, omelets, bagels, cinnamon rolls, apple cider, and a bunch of other stuff I didn't get to eat. It was all super good. However, we were late getting there and needed to get on the road again so after filling up everyone we headed out to Logan.

We stopped in Logan to visit Guapo's Grandma. She was so excited to see us. She gave the girls their Christmas presents, we ordered pizza, and played downstairs in her kid kingdom. It was so fun to just watch those two play with all the toys and slides and everything. It was nice to visit with Grandma Hammond and Gaupo's Aunt Sarah who brought her kids over to visit too. We were at Grandma Hammond's house for about 2 hours and we filled it with playing visiting and having lunch. It was so fun. Kylee even got a new "kitty." I was sure that it was going to replace her old one, but as we speak new kitty is on the couch and the old kitty is sleeping upstairs with Kylee. Oh man, what are we going to do when that thing gives out.

After playing hard in Logan, we headed to Swanlake. Julia was so excited to see Kylee and Tia. Then the playing started all over again. The girls got out all the toys, and books and had Grandma playing and reading like crazy. Oh man both Kylee and Tia had a great time soaking up all the extra attention. That night after the kids went to bed, Melanie and I played games together and had a chance to chat. That was really fun. I enjoy playing games and visiting with Melanie.

Thursday was of course Thanksgiving. It started kind of early mainly because the girls woke up at like 6:15, Argh. Anyway, it got me up so that I was ready when Scott brought home Aubrey his fiance. She was really nice and loved the girls, of course. Sometimes, I wonder if people would like me as much if I didn't have kids. (Just kidding, they would, but I tell you these two girls of mine sure steal a lot of the attention I use to get) So, we had fun eating breakfast, getting dinner started, and visiting with Aubrey. We made rolls, sweet potatoes, and potatoes. Julia had everything else all ready before hand. It still took time and a lot of dishes. Once we got all the baking started or done, we took Kylee out to see the cows and swing on the swings. At around noon, Jeff and Heidi and their three kids showed up, so we sat down for our Thanksgiving feast. It was fun to all cram around the table, visit, and enjoy good food. It was kind of weird to me that no one ate pie after eating their dinner, but other than that it was a pretty typical Thanksgiving dinner. After eating, the kids went down for a nap, and the rest of us either rested or visited. That night we had leftovers and then spent the evening visiting.

Friday started dark and early in our room. The girls were up and ready to go way before anyone else in the house. So, I took Kylee to the potty and then we let them play in the bedroom until we thought the kids downstairs were awake. It is kind of hard to contain two little kids who are either curious or bored contained in like a  10X10 space, but we did it. Once they were downstairs, they played, and played. Then we had a breakfast and they played some more. Arlen and Kylee played on hippity-hops forever. They were so tired from jumping and chasing each other. While Tia was napping we put on a movie for Kylee, Arlen, and Naomi while we ladies (Heidi, Melanie, Julia, and I) made and dipped chocolate cherry yummyness. It was messy and with interruptions took quite awhile but I enjoyed it and learned a lot.  By the time we got the chocolate mess all cleared up it was time for lunch and then naps. During this nap times we went through some Christmas decorations that Julia purchased from an estate sale and picked out what we wanted. When Tia and Kylee woke-up from their naps we went to Grandpa-Great's house and visited with him, Oma, Papa, Kitt, and Klaire. It was so nice to see my family and visit with them. It was really kind of short, but two weeks ago I spent a longer time, so I guess its okay. I just love spending time with them though. We headed back to the Merrill's and got there in time for some delicious pizza. Then we visited while the kids played until it was their bedtime. Once my kids were in bed, we played games. We started by playing Apples to Apples because Aaron said he would play games if we played that one and he was only going to be around for 45 min. (which he stuck around the whole night actually), but we had fun. That game is always funny and it is very interesting to see personalities come out. After we finished that games, we played one of my new favorite games "Quiddler." It was really fun, and we actually played all seven rounds. Gary came out the winner. It was kind of funny though because Quiddler is suppose to be an individual game, but everyone was helping everyone and it actually I think made it more enjoyable. After that game, everyone separated. Gaupo finished closing and we went to bed around 11:00.

Saturday was leaving day. It was so hard to leave. The vacation didn't seem to be long enough. The kids were really enjoying playing with each other, and we weren't exactly sure when we would be coming back. It is always hard to leave family. I love Colorado, but it is missing my family and that is hard sometimes. However, we made it back with only one incident, which was being pulled over. I am not even 100% sure that we were speeding because I never saw a sign that changed the speed limit back to 75 but apparently there was one (and not the one right in front of us) and we got ticketed. Oh man, it put a damper on that drive home. I don't like getting in trouble, and so when I do it kind of rocks my world for awhile. But we made it home safe and sound. We enjoyed our trip and had the chance to make memories with family.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures. To be honest I didn't even have my camera. I know super bad, but it happened, and this is the end of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment