Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Kylee and Tia

This summer has been super fun. I love summer!! After returning from my vacation to Arizona, I took my mom's advice and decided to not enter Kylee in swim lessons again until probably the fall. That way I can schedule it during the day and hopefully have a teacher who Kylee will listen to, and that will tell Kylee that she is a big girl and can do these things. As a result of this decision and noticing how much of a difference swimming everyday in AZ made, I decided we would try to go swimming everyday, or pretty close. This has been wonderful! Not only have we had fun, but both my girls are growing in their water abilities.

Tonight we went to the rec center to swim. It is the first time in a long time that we have been there. WOWZERS that place is crowded! I was really worried that both my girls wouldn't have much fun because their were so many people, but I was wrong. Kylee had a blast. She started out kind of normal, which is following Tia around and doing the slides. Then she got going. She started floating her legs behind her. Then doing her swimming which is floating her legs and then lifting one arm out of the water at a time. Then she did her diving. Which is when she splashes into the water and drives to dive. Then she was just playing around and I was keep tabs on Tia and she says "Look, Mom." I look over and she holds her breath, floats her legs, and sticks her WHOLE head in the water. I was shocked, happily shocked, but still shocked. Then she showed me how she could kiss the bottom, and how she could lift up her arms and stick her face in still. This is AMAZING people!! This girl has not done this of her own free will and choice ever. I am so proud of the big steps she is making. Here is a little video what she was doing. Sorry for all the noise and that it isn't very clear.


Tia has been loving summer as well, but her update is of a different note. I took Tia to the doctors last Wednesday for her 18 month check-up. Everything was great, except the doctor (and me) were concerned that she doesn't talk yet. By doesn't talk, that is what I mean. She doesn't really jabber, she is super quiet, and doesn't say any real words except for every random once in awhile when you think you hear one, but its rare. The doctor said that wasn't normal, so we needed to get her speech and hearing tested. Well today we had the speech test. I was wondering what they would do for a speech test for someone who is 18M and doesn't talk. However, it was very interesting. They tested for object recognition, listened for her to make any noises, sounds, anything, had her point to things, or copy us, and things like that. Tia and Kylee quite enjoyed the test. We walked out and Kylee said "She didn't even do anything to Tia." Anyway, she does have a delay in speech and in recognition. She doesn't seem to associate words with the object. For example, when asked to had mommy the spoon, she would just pick up anything and had it to me. So, we have been recommended to meet with a speech pathologist and get some help. You can tell that Tia wants to communicate, but for some reason just can't do it. We have a few things to work on, but the early intervention people probably wont call us for about a week, so it will be a bit before we start with them.

In any case, I think both my children are taking very positive steps in conquering their unique challenges. I love that my girls are so different and special. Each one possesses unique qualities and gifts and luckily for me they actually compliment each other very well. I am so proud of these two. They are so awesome.

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome that Kylee liking the water so much! When we did swim lessons last year they did it every day for two weeks and I feel like it really did make such a difference! It's so fun watching each kid develop into their own unique little selves. :) Hope you can find some things that will help Tia with her speech too. I know it can be frustrating for both mom and kiddo! Justin was behind with his for a while too (probably because of never ending ear infections) but I took him to the speech pathologist in Rexburg a couple of times and he loved it and few gave me a few great ideas of things that did help. Hope you guys enjoy your 4th of July festivities tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete