Sunday, October 16, 2016

Ft. Collins Temple Dedication

Today was the Ft. Collins Temple dedication. It has seemed like it has taken a long time to get this temple here, but I am so excited. I am also jealous of all the youth that were able to participate in the cultural celebration. I have always wanted to be a part of one and maybe one day I will, but not today. However, I am so glad that so many of the youth in my area got that special and unique opportunity. I really wanted to watch it last night, but decided that it was more important to go out with the missionaries last night. The meeting with the investigator went so much better than expected. We were able to actually teach part of a lesson and the Spirit was actually there were at our last meeting when we were done I just felt crummy and no lesson was able to be taught. So, I am glad that I went that way I could have a good experience with this investigator. That said I still kind of long to have been at my home with my family joining in the celebration of the Ft. Collins temple. Gaupo let the girls stay up for the whole thing and they seemed to really like it. Kylee even showed me a few of the dance moves that they did. I am so glad that they got to see it.

Anyway, today was the actual dedication and Pres. Uchdorf urged the youth to journal about this special experience. Well I am youthful and so I decided I would take his advice and write about it. I loved the dedication. We were able to leave the girls at their friend Jensen's house so Gaupo and I could go together. I am so glad we got to go together. I thought I would be fine if I had to go alone and true I would have been and I would have probably sat by friends, but it was so good to go with Gaupo and be with him in that extension of the temple. It was great to hear about the history of Ft. Collins. My favorite snipit was Elder Runland's caution which was "The closer the temple gets to us the harder it seems to get there. When the temple is far away we plan weeks or months in advance. We schedule around it and make sure nothing gets in the way. However, as it moves close we get derailed by smaller things with the thought 'oh, I will just go tomorrow.' Don't fall for it. Don't fall into that trap." I think that is inspired council because it is so true. There is always an excuse of why we can't go, but we need to make it so we can and do go. 

I also really liked participating in the Hosanna Shout because it reminded me so much of the dedications of the Palmyra, Winter Quarters, and Nauvoo temple dedications. Those were the first ones I had ever been to and I remember feeling so excited to be able to go and participate in it. I remember thinking how cool it looked with all those white handkerchiefs. I remember the feelings of the spirit that I felt at those dedications. I really don't remember much from them, but I do remember how I felt, so it was so cool to do that again and this time with a temple near me. This will be my temple. It is the temple my girls have been able to go inside of and it is one they will be able to go in and do baptisms there. This is my new temple and I am so excited. I am so excited I don't have to go through Denver traffic to get there. I still might just so the girls can go to Aunt Kitt's house, but I don't have to. I can get to the temple in 45 minutes. It is such a blessing to have one so close to me. I loved hearing the prayer dedicating the temple to the Lord and His will and purposes. It truly reminded me of the reason we have temples, why we go, and our purpose here on earth.

I am so grateful for temples. The power that comes from the covenants we make in those holy houses brings so much peace and strength into my life. Knowing that the sealing power is real has helped me find joy in the loss of Derek. To be able to learn and gain a testimony of the Plan of Salvation when my Grandma died. It saved my marriage and has brought me my family which is truly one of the greatest gifts that has ever been given me. The temples are a House of God and as we live true to the covenants we make there we are blessed with power from on high. I am so grateful for the wonderful experience I had to go to the temple dedication today and the blessing I know have of having a temple north of Denver only 45 minutes away. Truly so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment