Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Ward Halloween Party

This year our ward Halloween Party was really early. Okay maybe not to terribly early, but still not the weekend of Halloween. Anyway, our ward has a tradition of soups and desserts for this event. So, being a little exuberant this year I decided to make both a dessert and a soup. It was quite the undertaking considering I would be the sole caretaker of 5 children until 5 and then I had to have both ready to go, kids dressed in costumes, and stuff like that by 6:20. I did accomplish everything, but we were slightly late, but its okay we all survived.

I talked about the party with the girls and Kylee really wanted cupcakes. I not a huge cupcake person, but since I wasn't really out for a prize anyway I agreed. However, I decided that if she was going to decided what we should have then the girls could also make them. So instead of reading a story before nap time we just made cupcakes and stuck them in the oven. It was a little tricky for me to figure out how to get 3 kids to help with just one cake mix, but we did it and I think everyone had a good time. I do have to say I am really glad I put Trent down for his nap before the baking started because I totally think that would have been more than I could handle. Anyway, the cupcakes baked and cooled during nap time. I also made frosting and separated it into baggies with different colors during that time. So, when they woke up I had them frost cupcakes. It was pretty funny to watch those girls just pour on the frosting. They looked a little scary to me, but you know we didn't have that many left over and my girls have loved them which was the main thing.
Tori, Kylee and Tia decorating cupcakes.
Another action shot for you.
The finished ones. We didn't frost some of them because Kylee doesn't like frosting so we left them plain.

For soup, I decided to make corn chowder. I did make it gluten-free because we have several ward members who are, but I didn't remember till late that most of those that are off gluten are also of dairy and this is a cream soup, so some what fail. However, it is not a complete fail because now I know I can and it is really tasty, so it is something I can make for Kitt when she is here. In order to make this soup happen close to on time, I cooked the bacon during nap, thus my home had a very interesting aroma of chocolate cake and bacon most of the afternoon. I started cooking the soup shortly after Tori and Trents' mom came to pick them up, but I used real potatoes and of so of course those took longer to cook then I thought. Also, I ran out of corn. I know kind of hard to make CORN chowder without the corn. Luckily Gaupo was able to run by the store and get me some after helping setup for the party. So, luckily the potatoes cooked, Gaupo bought me corn, and the soup tasted good.

While I was trying to fix the soup the girls kept begging to get their costumes on and I kept telling them they had to wait until I got to a certain point in the soup and then I could help them. Seriously these kids were more excited to get in costumes than they are sometimes for Santa to come on Christmas. Oh well, they survived until I could help them. Kylee was going to go as Elsa, but we could find a dress she liked and it just wasn't coming together the way she thought it should, so she settled for being a kitty again. Tia got to be the witch this year. She has been in love with our witch's hat since Kylee used it last year, so even though Kylee also said she wanted to be a witch (she changes ideas often) I told her it was Tia's turn. While I was getting them ready, I had a stroke of creativity and thought of a costume for me as well. I decided that since I was a wearing a black shirt and jeans, and doing costumes already then I could just throw a measuring tape around my neck and be a designer type person, but I sometimes think a little too hard, so I decided that I would be Edna Modes (the designer from Incredibles) daughter. Gaupo said "I don't know who that is," I said I know she doesn't really exist, but if she did this is what she would look like. Anyway, I went as that and Gaupo was wearing a t-shirt that had a sheriff's star on it, so it wore that and brought a Nerf gun. Sadly. we were in such a rush when we left I didn't get pictures. It is a total shame because we were all dressed up and looking so cute, but oh well.

The party itself was great. We gave a ride to Susan, who is an investigator. We ate dinner with Sela who has three kids that are close to Tia's age. One is older and two are younger. She came by herself, so we sat by her just in case she needed any help. She is a super mom and didn't really need any, but I don't know how she does it. Three kids three and under all by herself most of the time. Wow. Anyway, we ate with her and then the kids ran around in the gym and played for awhile. They both participated in the costume parade and contest. They didn't win, but if they had gone with most creative they would have. Oh well, we didn't really set out to win things. There was a costume contest for adults too and the oldest guy in the ward won it. He dressed up as Sherlock Holmes. It was so fun because before it all started he wandered around talking to everyone in an English accent and then when he left he would say 'I think I will go catch a game of cricket.' It was pretty clever I thought. Anyway, it was a fun filled night. We finally called it a night at 8:00. We took Susan home and got our munchkins all tucked in and then just relaxed. It was a crazy evening, but it was so fun. I love my kids being this age. They are still fun and into pretending, but they are old enough that we don't have to do everything with them.I don't know it is just really a great age and time right now.
Tiaat the end of the parade. She is that cute witch in the purple hat. 
Kylee at the parade. She is quite a cute kitty.
So, this week is the week before Halloween and don't worry the Halloween meals and adventures are underway. I am so excited to share them with you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment