Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Summer Mode

The past few years I have been the Mom who manages to keep bedtime and naptime pretty well in the summer. I love my routines, and I have been pretty satisfied with what we do in the time the kids are awake. This year, OH BOY! I have not been good at all. I mean I did okay until I went on vacation. I didn't do too bad considering it was vacation, but after that oh man we blow bed time and/or naptime by at least an hour every couple of days. It always seems like something amazing needs to happen, or not so amazing, but nonetheless a moments. Consequently, I have been really bad this summer with our sleeping schedule, but you know we will survive and we have had a great time making memories.

This week has had some great moments. Trust me there are not so great ones too, but I am tired of writing about those, so you get the we are awesome version this week. I think I mentioned it in the last post, but I had a minor procedure done this last week to removed a cyst. Well, one of the things I am suppose to avoid for a couple of weeks in swimming. I was kind of worried about this, but it all turned out well. On Wednesday, we rode our bikes to the library. That was actually really fun. It was kind of an overcast day, so the weather was cool. Also, I didn't go running because I didn't want to get all sweaty because I couldn't take a shower until Thursday afternoon at the earliest. Anyway, we decided to ride to the library. The girls did really good on the way down. We stopped and played at the park and still managed to get to the library in time for storytime. We went to storytime and then hangout at the library for bit and then started the trek home. It was a pretty good. There wasn't too much whining and we stopped for free lunch on the way home. It wasn't that great of food. I really wonder how in the world these meals are considered healthy because we are not the healthiest eaters, and I know that that stuff can not be good for you. Anyway, they had a great time attending storytime there and then playing with some other kids who were there. It was really fun to watch them interact with these kids and figure out how to play with them. But, as you can guess after all that playing and riding, plus by this time it was hot, so the last little bit home was not so great, but we survived even though most of the way Kylee was threatening to never ever ride her bike again.

Another fun thing I decided to do with the girls this week since I was trying to avoid swimming was rock climbing. I have taken the girls before, but it has been awhile. They both did really good. Tia has improved drastically since she first climbed and Kylee has also improved quite a bit. However, Kylee used the Auto Belay and she climbed pretty high, but they didn't want to let go to let herself come down and she climbed high enough I couldn't reach her, so then of course she was all done. Tia climbed and climbed. I pretty much had to make her stop. Her muscles were getting really tired, and you could tell because she was struggling to focus, and climb and so it was a good time to quit. I took them back tonight and Tia did great. Probably a personal best as far as height and she loves swinging much to her belayer's dismay. However, he was a good sport and let her do her thing and is actually the one who helped her get to those new heights. Kylee did okay until she decided she was going to get to the same spot and she was literally one hold away and she started freaking out. She says she got scared I don't know how or why, but she was not having it. So, I guess I am now in the process of getting Kylee loving it again. AGHHHHH!! I don't know why this happens. I mean I guess fear is a good thing, but sometimes it is so frustrating because if she messes up once or one time its a little scary it takes so much to build the confidence back up and get her to fall in love with it again. She really did love rock climbing and she was/is very good at it. I mean when she decided she was going to go to the dolphin rock and she was focused on her goal she did it almost no problem, but when it go hard and she realized where she was then a freakout. Oh well, I guess we will be going more often until this is cleared. Luckily next week I can start climbing too. I could probably do it this week but they said I should lift or pull or push anything for a couple of weeks so it doesn't stress the scar. We will see how good I can be.
Kylee rock climbing the day we went.
Tia rock climbing the first day.
Friday we ventured down to Denver. I decided that I would go to the temple 2x this month. However, I decided really late in the month, so I only had this past weekend to go. So, I drove myself and the girls to Denver and Kitt watched them for me while I went to the temple. It was really nice to go to the temple. I had a lot on my mind and the Celestial Room was so peaceful and it was great to just be there. However, I didn't get to visit with Kitt much which was kind of a downer, so I think I have decided that I will go 2x to the Ft. Collins temple and then just go visit Kitt. That way I am all excited and had a chance to visit and play and then the traffic doesn't seem so bad. Don't get me wrong I would do it for the temple again, but I think it is more relaxing to go to temple when I don't have traffic to worry about driving home in. However, the girls had a great time with their Aunt Kitt. They went swimming, had Mac and Cheese, played games, played defeat the Hun with Aunt Kitt's boyfriend Matthew, and all sorts of fun. Then to cap-off their already awesome day, Gaupo brought home Moana, and so we had to watch that. I guess it is a good thing they didn't take naps till they were in the car.
Me at the Denver Temple
As you probably guessed, if I am going twice this month then I needed to go Saturday too. Gaupo and I took the girls with us to the temple and did initiatories. So Gaupo watched the girls while I went in and then we switched. They pretty much played in the grass and puddles I think while I was in the temple. Then when I took over we walked around some more. There were a couple of brides there and Tia loved watching them. So, it was kind of weird to follow these strangers around and watch while their pictures were being taken, but I could definitely think of worse things to be fascinated by. So, we watch brides, dipped our hands in the fountain, played sit and listen for a minute then tell mom what you hear. Kylee actually really like this game. Tia obviously struggled a bit, but I think it was good for them to just sit for minute and look at the temple. I am really glad we took them. Sometimes, it is kind of long for them, but I think it is good for kids to go to the temple and have that be part of their lives every once in awhile. After the temple, Gaupo treated us to Wendy's and we came home and made Tia a burrito (she doesn't like hamburgers, chicken nuggets, or fries), and ate a picnic on the living room floor and then finally got the girls to bed for a nap. That night for dinner we did one of my favorite things--a weiner roast. It was so great to cook outside. The air was kind of cool the fire was warm, we have a pretty nice looking back yard and we do it together. I don't know I just love it and, so I am glad Gaupo spoiled me with that fun evening dinner. We just chilled outside for awhile and then doused the fire and got baths and bed.
Aren't we just the cutest family ever!?!
Tia sitting being quiet.
Kylee sitting quiet.

Me at the Temple.
Our last great adventure this week was going to the fair and watching the Westinaries show for FHE on Monday. Westinaries is a high school horse group that does all kind of tricks on their horses. The girls loved it especially Tia. Both girls said they wanted a horse after and I still kind of wish for a horse, but Gaupo of course said no. Which right now is fine. I mean seriously I live in the middle of Longmont, where would I put a horse? But some dreams just linger and are made even more fun when your girls want it too. It was a good show. They did a good job and I love that the girls loved it and that it wasn't TV, so you got what you got and they were still entertained with it. Gaupo enjoyed the show too, so I think it was a win for everyone. Plus, the girls got to stay up late, why wouldn't they like that?
Us at the Westinaries show.(Tia, Guapo, Kylee, and Me)
I feel so blessed to have been able to do the things we have done this summer. I really feel like it is the first summer our girls could really appreciate or do any of these things and it has been so fun. I have never wanted summer to end, but I feel like this one is ending all too soon. There is still a few more things I want to do and there is just not enough time, but I am so grateful for what we have been able to do. It really has been a lot of fun to play and be a family this summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment