Sunday, April 30, 2023

5th Grade Marketing

This past week I got to go teach a little bit about marketing to Kylee's 5th grade class and it was so much fun. The 5th graders are in the process of doing making items to sell during their market day. I have been trying to help Kylee without taking over, yet my mind was just racing and racing with all these thoughts about marketing and what the 5th graders could and should do. A couple weeks ago, I was talk to Kara on the phone and said "Man, I just wish I could go talk to these kids about marketing because there is so much they could do with it right now." She said something like "if I were a teacher and I would say sure let me see your stuff and come on in." I just laughed and said "that is just the thing I don't have anything to show. I just love it." So, I didn't do anything and the ideas kept tumbling in my head and the desire to share kept sneaking up on me. So, last Saturday I was helping Kylee with her project and I had the thought to teach again. So, I asked Kylee if it would be weird and she said No. So, I emailed her teacher that day asking if she would like me to come in and talk to the kids a little about marketing and their displays. She said, "I would love my kids to have a chance to hear from a real world professional." Well, I am a far cry from professional but I do love it and she had an available time that worked perfectly and so I decided to do it on Tuesday.

Well, it was Saturday when I heard back from her teacher and the plan was a go. So, Saturday night I had thoughts just swirling in my mind and I was trying to pray but these thoughts were blocking everything else, so I decided the Lord knew my needs and I was going to pray about this marketing presentation and get some ideas down. I opened my notebook, prayed, and wrote until my mind felt empty. Then I ended the prayer and went to bed. Then it was Sunday. So, I tried really hard not to think on it and just do Sunday. Then Monday came and the pressure was on because the next day I was going to talk to kids about marketing for about an hour and all I had were some notes. Well, I was getting ready for the day and talking to Kitt and I was telling her what I was going to get working on and I don't remember exactly what I said but I remember telling her "I am talking to 5th graders who are putting this stuff into action in 2 days. It needs to be simple, relevant, and budget friendly." Just saying that out loud provided some more direction for where my thoughts should go. So, I jotted down some more notes and ideas on paper that morning, and pulled the laptop downstairs and during nap time got to work.

I built a slide presentation on google slides. I haven't made a presentation in YEARS and so it was a little daunting and at first I struggled to find images and thing that I wanted for it, but I was guided to find things that were relevant, simple, and fun. I got the slide presentation put together and had about 30 minutes until the kids got home and I was going to waste it, but felt to gather my materials for the activity part of the lesson. Once again I intended to only get the things that were already written down, but as I walked more ideas came and I was able to find good, and fun things to gather. When I was done, for the first time since market day had hit my radar my mind was totally still. It was peaceful. I didn't need to return to the presentation, or gather more I was ready. When I was telling Michelle this story she reminded me of that scripture "When you are prepared ye shall not fear." I often still worry when I am prepared, but this time I didn't mainly because I was guided and knew it was right. 

Tuesday came and I had all my supplies loaded in my wagon and went to the school. I was a little nervous but then I was up in front and doing something that I loved--teaching kids and marketing. It was so great. I had pictures of a deodorant for men and one for women that were the pretty much the same thing, but we talked about how the designed them different and what they did to appeal to men for women. Then we talked about band-aids and how one was for everyone and relied heavily on brand name and the other was for kids and how that design was different. Then I made it relevant talking about key for a good display and different things to think about to make their items easier for customers to see and get to. Then the part with all the supplies. I put the kids in teams of 4 and had them give it a try with the items I found around my house. It was fun to watch them try things and see what worked or didn't work. Then we wrapped it up talking about some things to watch on market day, and questions to ask themselves so on the next market day maybe they could do a little better. It was really fun and an awesome experience that I feel so blessed to have had.

This whole experience reminded me that the Lord cares very much about our lives--MY life. This is one of those times that I was extremely blessed to learn about revelation, have a connection with others, feel peace and joy, and to just solidify that my degree wasn't a waste. It was truly something I love even if I don't do it for my job. I was so blessed because I followed the prompting to ask to come in. I wouldn't have probably had an tragic loss if I didn't act on it, but because I did I was able to have a great experience and I am just so, so grateful that I got to do it. 
Here I am with my Wagon of display building treasures.


No comments:

Post a Comment