Sunday, April 16, 2023

Blah, Movies, Babysitting, and Nails

 This week has been a bit off, and I have no idea why. Last week, was off too, but I was going to make this week better and while it was it was still pretty off. Most mornings I had a terrible time getting myself out of bed on time which then kind of made things late or rushy or out of the ideal order. I don't know, sometimes you just slump and then I guess we have to unslump which is a lot harder than it is to slump. However, over the last two weeks I have have tried Nourish Move Love's HITT Strong 35 program and though I still have quite a few days to complete, it has been fun to move athletically again. I am continually amazed at the human body and all it is capable of. Also, on the positive side I spent some great time out in the warm sun, hung out with out neighbors, and probably on HUGE bonus this week was no homework! I still had my kids read for 20 minutes and practice the piano.

This weekend we finally paid up Kylee's birthday gift and took the kids to the movies. We actually left Kade and Hope with the Bryce's because Kade hates scary anything, and loud stuff and Hope is a baby. Anyway, we had some gift cards from Gaupo's work and so we went to the AMC theater in Brighton. We didn't pre-buy and even though we got there about 20 minutes early all they had left were front row seats. Luckily, the guy at the ticket counter only charged us kid prices for all the tickets which left us some money to get the kids special drinks. Kylee said, "Great movie, huge special drink, babysitting, and delivery pizza--Best Day Ever!" The kids loved the movie and didn't mind the front row seats at all. Kade enjoyed the cousins and Hope did fine at the cousins. Every now and again its fun to do something we never do and it is fun to take people that have never had the experience before.

Last night Gaupo, Hope, and I went to stake conference and let Kylee babysit. You know I can't really complain because I have definitely come back to way worse. Plus, what I came home to was great. She was reading everyone one of our favorite graphic novels--HILO. Everyone was happy, ready for bed including teeth brushed and prayers said. The house was mostly clean, just a little dinner still on the table, and everyone went to sleep pretty quickly. I would definitely call it successful. Kylee has been working pretty hard on developing her babysitting skills and she really enjoys when she gets to be responsible. 

Other than that life is pretty normal. I do have one other story I want to share just so I don't forget because I feel like its a great lesson and I need to remember it because it is so hard to do it. So, Kylee has been trying really hard to stop biting her nails. The reward for two weeks without biting nails is we will go get her nails done somewhere. For her birthday she got some nail stickers and when she wears those she doesn't bite them, but last Saturday they had all come off and she just had paint on them and for whatever reason she decided to bite ALL of her nails off. She was so disappointed in herself. It was so tempting to just tell her its okay we go do your nails anyways because she was so, so close to having 2 weeks. However, I said "I am so sorry that happened and I can tell your really upset but I can't give you the reward even though I want to." You can imagine that went over like a ton of bricks. Luckily Aunt Kitt had some new polish and once she had calmed down and was just sulking Kitt offered to paint her nails and we started over. Well, you know what. I saw her fingers inch up to her mouth a couple of times and reminded her to take them out and she did without any eye rolling. Then one time had to remind her and had her sit on her hands and she actually did it. Usually, she just says no and tries to stop. This week I didn't have to remind her at all. She was ultimately successful because it meant something to her. When she messed up and I didn't bail her out it helped her become more committed to breaking the habit. I so often don't want my kids to have so suffer for the mistakes they make. I want to soften the fall, but you know I needed this reminder that sometimes we have to let it be hard and not give in because that's when they can grow. When it gets personal is when THEY decide it matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment