Sunday, April 28, 2013

Blog Worthy

Sorry about not blogging on Thursday but this week I have had something every night almost.

Monday we had FHE. Which for us right now means reading a chapter from Dave Ramsey's book Financial Peace.

Tuesday I had pack meeting, which I always really enjoy. I love watching the boys get awards, and do some crazy stuff, but mostly enjoying because I don't really have to do much.

Wednesday my Visiting Teachers came over. It was so wonderful to visit. I really love to talk and my VT are great for visiting with. They had a great lesson on temple covenants. It reminded me how important those covenants are and how much they have done for me in my life.

Thursday I had a stake scout training. It was AWESOME. It was everything I wish I had known 2 years ago when I was called. They had one guy talk about how to plan a den meeting. Which you would think I would have down pat, but he had a great idea about how to use your den chief. I had always used mine like another adult and it usually was just a lot of hassle, but he said use them for record keeping. Okay that was BRILLIANT. I am a horrible record, and attendance keeper. How hard would it have been to have him do that, ummm NOT hard at all. Plus it would have been a big help, he would have had a responsibility, and then when it was all done he would still have time to teach boys how to do stuff. Oh my I wish I had thought of that. I could have saved myself a ton of paperwork. Anyway, the next guy talked about training, which is also not a strong point. Believe it or not I am still not technically trained, but I have done some, and started some more and every time I do more, I am like 'why did I wait so long, this really has good ideas.' So, do your training. That guy also showed us how to navigate around the scout website which is like the  most unuser friendly site ever. Anyway, he did a great job. However, my favorite trainer was the last one who only had about ten min. She helped tie together scouting and church. She was passionate about scouts, but not the crazy weird kind the good kind. Her idea was called "Training Plus." She said that training was important but so was PLUS. PLUS stands for Planning, Love, Understanding, and Study. She talked about the importance of planning for what could go wrong at a den meeting. To think through how will a boy hurt themselves, what should I do for transitions, and for gathering. How do I keep the boys engaged, when will it be hard and what can I do to help it? Love she talked about the importance of loving the boys. I know that this has made all the difference for me. When I started to truly try to love my boys, call them my boys, think about who they were and what they could be, scouting became more of an opportunity to  serve and love and less of a chore or burden. Love is very key. Understanding- it is important to understand your boys, who they are, problems they have, interests, family, what they want to do, etc. Understand who your boys are and then it will be easier to serve. Finally, the biggest epiphany to me study. She recommended using the monthly value as your topic for scripture study that month. She said study scriptures, talks, stories, and lessons about the topic, immerse yourself in the value. If you do this, then the value will naturally come out in your activities and lesson because it is what you think about day after day. How easy is that to have a topic to study by and live by, and then have it almost teach the boys for you. Brilliant I tell you BRILLIANT. Her other idea that I thought was amazing, and I got this when I talked to her after the meeting, was to have an emergency box. This box has stuff like straws, ping-pong balls, feathers, etc. and you use it when something unexpected happens and you need the boys engaged in something while you solve the problem. I know this would have saved my bacon a few times in scouts. Sorry for the long blub on this but I thought it was a really good training and I really wanted to write it down before I forgot it. I love scouts and so I just want to do my best. Also, if you ever get the chance to volunteer with scouts do it, and love the boys and you will learn a lot.

Friday, was pretty uneventful. I finished my book Charlie Bone at Midnight.  It was really good. Gaupo was very patient to let me finish it. Then we planned out what needs to be done in our yard, and made plans for Saturday and went to bed. Oh yeah, we had grilled pizza for dinner, it was good but not the best we have tried it 3 times and I don't know that we will try it again. We can't seem to get it how we want it.

Saturday, we went to the temple. With left Little One with the Other Merrill Family and went and did a session in Denver. It was so nice to not have to worry about getting back in time to feed Little One. The temple was so rich and full of peace. I love that place and I am so glad we got to go. Little One had a good time with the Other Merrill's. She had tons of fun and was tuckered out by the time she got home, but luckily she was so excited to see us again too. Once we got home, I started working on Guapo's feast. It took all day, but it turned out good. Tell you more about B-day's in the next post.   

No comments:

Post a Comment