Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Money Thoughts

This is about debt, so if you aren't wanting to read about money just stop right here. Gaupo and I have tried really hard to do the best we can with what we have and manage our money well. It started when we first got married and Gaupo was unemployed and I was going to school. To make matters even tighter Gaupo had spent all his money getting to our wedding, buying my ring, and paying for school, so we were living on what I made the summer before. For me, this was terrifying. So, I made us sit down and start making a budget. Oh boy, we were way off on what it would cost to survive. However, we learned adjusted and talked a lot about it. Gaupo got a job and about 2 months later got what we were sure was the dream job. It payed amazing (as in more than any job until our current one). It had benefits and still allowed me to go to school. At this time, we had FASFA (not sure how you spell that buy it equates to government help, and I was on full tuition scholarship. Both were tremendous blessings because it allowed us to save half of Gaupo's pay check. However, after 6 months are dreams were shattered as Gaupo was fired from his job. So, we went back to living super frugal and counting our blessings that I had stocked up on a lot of food while we had a big budget and were going to Idaho Falls often. We were unemployed from end of  August to right before Thanksgiving. It was a tough time, but Gaupo luckily found a good part-time job. Then we were blessed with the job out here in Colorado and we received tuition reimbursement for Gaupo's masters.

Now, I know your thinking  "What does that have to do with debt? You stayed out of it." It has everything to do with it because it had never really occurred to me that even if people used all the help they could, that school could still cost a small fortune. (I know I am dense) Anyway, I was talking to my home teachers on Sunday and he was talking about how his wife has to work. Honestly the first thought that went through my head was "No, she doesn't. You choose that." However, as I listened it dawned on me that they really had done all that they could and they had to go into a lot of debt, like not one or two semesters but like almost a whole bachelors degree so that they/he could go to school. They are also trying there best right now to get out. They have a modest home and cars, but he just doesn't make enough to cover the bills for school, home, food, etc.

So, my thoughts have just really been turned to how grateful I am for the miracles that were placed in my life so that I could be a stay-at-home mom. I know that  if we had more debt than just our home we might not have the option either. However, I have been blessed with miracles. Some I can see and others I am sure I don't even really know are happening except that it all works out. It is truly amazing. As a side lesson, I learned never judge a working mom you don't know her story, and even if you do it doesn't matter. Its her and her family's choice, so don't judge.

1 comment:

  1. I've had those same thoughts exactly! I'm so grateful to be a stay-at-home mom as well. It's a great blessing. I don't know how working moms do it all.

    ReplyDelete