Sunday, January 24, 2016

Ramblings on Goals

I am very late on the update, but I almost have valid reasons. My excuses this time are...my normal blog time Tuesday night we had a R.S. activity. I was kind of in-charge of it because our meeting coordinator moved and we haven't quite found one yet. Being in-charge isn't really too bad, just you have to be a little more on top of the ball and there is kind of a lot of pressure to be there to make sure everything gets off right. Anyway, we had a great activity on goals. We all shared what works and/or doesn't work for us when it come to goals. The teacher also had us work on filling out a goal planning sheet. So, I didn't get very far along with it, but the first section was priorities and then it had five openings. True thinking of 5 things that are important to me is not hard, but thinking of them in a goal oriented way, as in what do I want to improve. Like, what is so important to me I am willing to do hard things to make it better? That is a tough question to answer, because I really like my time and the things I do. To be honest I kind of like just sliding by and doing whatever it is I want to do. I do think there is time for that, but apparently I am getting old because I have spent a lot of time recently pondering about a lot of things, but what would be valid goals.

So, here are what I am listing as my top 5 priorities. They aren't in any particular order.

1. My relationship with my Heavenly Father.
2. Guapo
3. Kylee
4. Tia
5. Exercise

I want to explain why all of my family members are split up. I split them up, because this year I really want to focus on them and my relationship with them. I love my family as a whole too, but I really want to focus on the individual.

I do feel like when I list my priorities out like this that there are so many other things I am missing like my calling, practicing the piano, journal writing, speech, my housework and other domestic skills like sewing and cooking. However, I don't have the desire or time to write goals for every priority that I have plus I would be setting myself up for failure if I did. I am a little worried about accomplishing the goals I have or have yet to set.

So, I haven't figured out how to make goals out of all my priorities, but maybe by making them a priority it will kind of work itself out. Here are the goals that I want to do this year. (I think) See I hate commitment, because I hate failing. However, I really am going to do my best and hopefully succeed. Here we go...

1. Start working on personal progress. Complete 3 values in their entirety by the end of the year. I haven't for sure decided which three, but I think I am going to start with Faith.

2. Participate in the Longmont Try-a-tri. I have been wanting to do this for a long time and I enjoy working-out kind of, but have kind of gotten into a lull about what I do it for. So, I figure if maybe I have a goal it will help.

My relationship goals obviously go two ways. So, I am trying to work on figuring out what I can do.

I think for starts I need to stop over reacting at Tia. I need to really try hard to give her immediate praise for the good things she does. I think Tia often feels over-looked and wants attention. I really want to love her for everything she is. I want to learn to love and appreciate the happy, sad, crazy, cuddly, fun-loving, energetic, some times troublesome little girl.

Kylee I think I need to help her foster her love for learning. This girl craves success, but also enjoys a challenge and learning. Sometimes she does better when I don't watch her try and work on hard thing, but I have to be able to find her things that are the right challenge for her. I also need to work on praising her and the good things she does.

As for Gaupo, I really want to find ways that I can better express how much I love him and how important he is to our family. Also, I need to work on supporting him in the wonderful things he does instead of complaining about how they take so much time or whatever other selfish thing I come up with at the time.

So, after writing all this down it looks like my goals for Gaupo, Kylee, and Tia all need to start with looking and mentioning the wonderful things they do. Don't wait just say it.

Goals are funny things. They make you feel empowered, but at the same time can feel very overwhelming. As in, it helps you see you can do and be better, but in the same short breath feel like can you really do that. Can I really do all these things that I want to? Will it make a difference? Where do I start?

Obviously I still have a long way to go on figuring out this whole goal thing and how it works for me, but I think this year I am going to go for it and see where I get. See I am totally acting old, seriously this kind of thinking makes me feel so serious. AGHHHHHH!!! "I am old! I am like the Crypt keeper." Just kidding, I am not that old, but seriously this kind of thinking makes me feel way old. Oh well, it is what is. Thanks for reading the ramblings of this one of a kind girl.


No comments:

Post a Comment