Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Childhood

Sometimes I think its a crime we can't remember our early childhood. It is true I don't want to remember some parts, but I wish I could remember what it was like to have a great imagination (I think I had one anyway) or what is was like to play with my brother, or sisters. I really don't remember that much. There are a lot of pictures of a lot of fun things, but I can't remember them with my own memories and after nights like tonight I wish I could because then  I could hope my kids would remember nights like tonight.

I am getting tired of going swimming at night because the Rec Center is so crowded and we go in the morning for swimming lessons anyway, so this morning instead of just going to lessons Tia and I played during Kylee's lesson and then we all played together for a bit and showered and came home. So, with swimming not on the adventure list tonight it was time for new fun. I have been wanting to make binoculars out of toilet paper tubes for a long time, but keep finding reasons not too. Well tonight was the night. After we sent our dad back to work, we finished folding laundry and started making them. Kylee was so excited she asked all day when we were going to make "sungoggles." Anyway, Kylee, Tia, and I all made our very own pair of sungoggles. The girls tried their out around the house while I finished mine. When we were all done I was just going to take them on a walk, but when we got outside I asked Tia where she wanted to go and she said, "park!" She gets so excited it really is hard to say no, so I didn't. I caved.

Instead of taking our normal route thought once we crossed the street we head through the 'forest.' (the green space with like 4 trees in it) Where we say a giant monster, so we ran. Then we went on the rocks because it couldn't follow us on those. Then we kept tramping around until we got to the park. Where climbed up to the highest tower to take a look around. We climbed that tower and slid down a couple of times before climbing the other mountain and running across the bridge, going through the tunnel and going down the slides over on that set of playground toys. Then we wanted to visit our dad at work, so we ran home. One of the adventures on the way home was when we let Tia be the leader. She lead us up a small hill to the pool building across from our house. Then we followed along that till we came to a door. She really wanted to knock, but I said no. Then we 'skied do the mountain.' What we actually did is slide our feet though the tiny bit of snow on the sidewalk incline leading up to the door. However, they thought it was great. When we got home we used the potty, got the 'enemy book' (really a book we needed to return to the library), and mom grabbed some secret supplies.

Then we headed to the library. Once there I let them take this little path that is against the building. They thought that was so cool because most times they have to stay on the sidewalk. Then we returned the book. Checked in with the boss (Gaupo), and then went to hunt for the next book we needed. Then we talked to the librarians, colored, played on the computer, said bye to dad once, went on the elevator, decided to pull out the treats mom brought, and then got a drink, said a final good-bye to dad and left.

It is amazing what a pair of toilet paper tubes stapled together can lead to. This night flew past. It was so fun. Kids are amazing. I love hearing Kylee narrate what we are doing. I love seeing Tia learn to pretend and doing her best to do it. I love playing. I love that our dad loves showing off the things we do and wants us to have our snack with him, not off somewhere by ourselves. I love that Gaupo gets to work in a place we can visit and have fun at. Sometimes the small stuff is all that matters. I love my family. They are AWESOME!!

Kylee and Tia rocking their sungoggles.

1 comment:

  1. You are so wonderful and imaginative, even though you sometimes wonder about the imagination part :) thanks for writing, sometimes wish I could go back too!

    ReplyDelete