Tuesday, March 15, 2016

A Visit From Grandma and Grandpa

Last Monday Grandpa texted Gaupo and said he needed to talk to him when Grandma wasn't so close. Well they two talked later and Grandpa said he was going to surprise Grandma and take her to our house if that was okay. OF COURSE, it was okay. So, we kept the secret from Grandma and Grandpa finally told her on Thursday. As soon as she got home from a funeral she was helping at she packed her bag and asked to leave. Grandpa said she had to wait until the next day.

So, true to his word he brought her out her and they arrived at our house around 4:45. I had just pulled the last batch of cookies from the oven. The girls, Gaupo, and I were outside eating cookies and waiting for them to pull-up. Every time I got a call or a text Kylee would want to know how much longer it would be until they got here. Oh my, the girls were so excited. Once they arrived, Kylee immediately wanted to show them where they were sleeping. I wish I had snapped a picture of the room because she had helped me finish it up. I asked her to put the towel in front of the pillow with the washcloth on top. She did do that, but instead of leaving them nicely folded the way I would have she had laid them out flat and with the washcloth laid out on top. Then she pointed to each side and told me who was going to sleep where. It was so cute. So, Kylee went up and showed Grandma her handy work while the rest of the car got unloaded.

Grandma and Grandpa brought more of Gaupo's stuff from their house. I seriously wonder if we will ever truly have it all. Luckily Gaupo was able to consolidate it down to two boxes from the 5 they brought. They really did bring some good treasures this time: a book with Guapo's scout jamboree and Washington D.C. pictures, pogs, more Yugioh cards, hats, his country report on Germany, and a few other things. Gaupo had a great time going through them and so did the girls.

After all that was sorted out, it was time to figure out what to have for dinner. I know I knew they were coming and I still didn't have a dinner plan. I had all the other days planned except that one. Luckily  I thought of something and made it. We had a pizza type thing for dinner. It turned out really good and our company enjoyed it. After dinner, we got the girls ready for bed and then got them in bed. I think it is so cute how Grandma and Grandpa love putting their hands in with us after family prayer and saying "Together Forever." Plus, Grandma loves the hugs that immediately follow that. After putting the girls down, we visited for quite awhile. We also helped them get all of their devices hooked up to our internet. We actually went to bed pretty early that night, but mainly so we could get crack-a-lackin' on the next day.

Saturday was great. We started off the morning kind of early. Not real early, because Grandma had had found out the kids were up and ushered them into their room. I walk out of mine and hear books being read and games being played. It was so awesome. I loved how quiet my house was and that they were all spending time being together. It was so cute. We had breakfast of pancakes and eggs at around 8:00. (That is pretty early for a Saturday around here.) Then we headed to the park around 9. Kylee really wanted Grandma to take her to the park, and Grandma and I were going to go to a women's meeting at 10. So, we went to the park and played at all the different parks over by the school. Then Grandma and I took off so we could go to the Women's Conference. While there the boys took the girls shopping for a few groceries (I had really been dreading this, so I was glad they did) and then to get a new outlet. They had just got the girls down and out for their naps when we got home.

Grandpa on the swings.
Kylee and Grandma.
Making a train down the slide.
At the Women's Conference Grandma and I chose to go to a class on relationship and a class on how life is like a marathon. The one on relationships was good. I will be honest though, my favorite part was the last 5 minutes when we were suppose to talk about ourselves. So, I Grandma go first. It took her a little bit to warm up to the fact she had to talk about HERSELF, but she did it and I LOVED hearing it. It was just one of those small glimpses into how she made it to who she is today. It was great. The Life is like a Marathon class was good too. The teacher didn't have a whole lot of time, but she has all kinds of spunk and did a great job. I love how she kept such a positive out look on life, when she was kept handed trial after trail. Anyway, after the talks we had a luncheon. We had what my mom would call "lady food." It was a salad bar. It had all the trimmings to make a great salad and then they had cake for dessert. It was fun to spend some one-on-one time with Grandma. She was such a good sport to go.

When we got home the girls were sleeping. Grandpa soon fell asleep and Gaupo, Grandma and I talked until I had to start shredding the meat for dinner. I finished shredding the meat and adding some sauces and the girls woke-up. Tia of course wanted to go to the park again, so we did. This time we let the girls ride their bike there. They both thought that was great and it went over so much better than the last time I tried that. Kylee actually made it all the way their and back. Tia did pretty well, but it is a lot harder ride on a trike. Grandpa has a great video of Grandma doing hopscotch and both Grandma and Grandpa were great sports about hanging out at the park again.

When we got home it was time for dinner. Then we popped some popcorn. That is Grandpa's favorite thing. I don't make it like Grandma, so I don't think he liked it quite as much, but he was still a good sport and the rest of us took up the slack on the rest of the bowl of popcorn. We ate the popcorn while watching one episode from the new Curious George season we bought Kylee for her birthday. It was pretty fun to squish Grandma, Grandpa, Tia, Kylee, and Me all onto the couch. Sometimes its fun to be cozy. I think it makes watching a movie and eating popcorn that much more special.

After the girls went to bed, us adults played Wits and Wager's Family Edition. It was a lot of fun. I wasn't sure if Grandpa would play or not because I really have only seen him play Mexican Train and we don't even own dominoes. (we should probably fix that) Anyway, he did play and we had a great time. We actually played two games of it before Grandpa called it quits for the night. After he retired to bed Grandma, Gaupo, and I played Ticket to Ride. It was a fun game. Gaupo won, but only because I couldn't finish one route because I only needed one card of a certain color. AHHHHH, the woes of Ticket to Ride. After the game we visited a little more and then went to bed. It was around 11ish.

Sunday dawned early, mainly because Daylight Savings Time started, but still it was early. I swear every year its hard to switch times. Oh well, we will adjust probably just in time to go to Arizona, but I guess at least it will happen. The morning started off with giving the girls showers. With Tia's head wound I couldn't wash her hair with the normal shampoo it needed to be a mild one like baby shampoo so her hair always looked greasy. So, I chose to do showers in the morning so that it wouldn't look as greasy. Then I did a cute braid. I tried to do it the same way I had when she had the accident, but that didn't work out, so I fixed cute a different way. After getting cleaned up, we had a super fancy breakfast of cold cereal and smoothies. It was really good. Then it was time to get ready for church. It always seems to take longer than I think, but luckily we were still ready to go and able to walk to church. Grandma and Grandpa joined us on our walk and it was so delightful. Church was ward conference. Every meeting was really good. When we got home from church we got lunch, and then got the girls down for a nap. We visited until it was time for everyone to wake-up. Once the girls were awake they were at full strength. Grandma was a trooper and took them on a walk while I made some tortilla shells to have our meat and rice on. Gaupo had to go home teaching, so when he got back we had dinner. Then the kids wanted to play games. Grandpa played Hungry Hippo's with them. They thought that was so cool. Then we finally got them to bed. Once they were in bed we ended up helping one another with technology. Just showing what cool things they could do. It was actually really fun. We had to go to bed at a decent time because Monday morning was going to be a little crazy.

Monday the girls were in Grandma and Grandpa's room again. You really do hate to break-up moments like that, so I didn't and sure enough they did eventually come down. We had muffins for breakfast and then it was time to get on with the day aka getting Tia's staples removed. Grandma and Grandpa watched Kylee while we went to the ER down in Lafayette. We were there FOREVER. We got their at 10 and they didn't even get us back their to take them out until like 1:30. Luckily Tia did really good, for the most part. I mean she is 2 and couldn't do a whole lot, so I will say she did very good. Anyway, I really didn't feel good about her getting sedated again, and the doctor agreed to try it and see how it went. Tia did great for staples 1-20. We got them out fast there wasn't a whole lot of getting upset. She pretty much just had a death hug on Gaupo and pups. Obviously she did a get upset, so we took a break. Then we started back up again, and got out about 10 more. Then we had to have some crackers and juice. Then we had to hold her real tight for those last 10, but we got them. Oh man, Tia was a champ! She did so good. She even calmed down pretty quick. Gaupo did most of the holding this time. He did admit it took more out of him than he thought it would. To hear that made me feel like less of a wimp. Anyway, with the staples out we headed home. Grandma and Grandpa had Kylee still awake. So, we showed her Tia was okay and then put them both to bed. Then Guapo and I ate the lunch that Grandma and Grandpa had picked up for us while were out. Then we sadly had to say good-bye. Really the visit seemed way too short, but we really enjoyed what we got and it is definitely better than nothing so we will take it. After saying good-bye, it was nap time. Or so we thought. I got a little nap before the kids woke-up, but just as we were getting to lay down Gaupo got a call from the Library needing him there to fix and emergency.

Tia coming home staple free.
After the kids woke-up, we do what I call a slow wake-up which is putting in a show and relaxing for just a few extra minutes. When the show was over I had to get making dinner. I was making dinner for us and a family that had just had a baby. When it was all cooked we went to take it to them and I got to hold the little baby for a minute. Oh it was wonderful. He was so perfect and cute. I am usually not a big baby holder, but boy it was so fun to hold him. It was so fun to let Tia and Kylee just totally soak him up. It was so fun. I am so glad they let us hold him. Anyway, after we got back we had dinner, FHE, and then sent the girls to bed. Then after cleaning up a little accident Tia had we watched some episodes and went to bed ourselves. It was quite the day, quite the weekend.

I am so glad Grandma and Grandpa were able to come. Sorry I don't have very many pictures, but I was too busy having fun. It really was a special treat to have some one-on-one time with them. I learned a lot from them, and about them. They are really wonderful people. My kids are super lucky to have two sets of awesome grandparents. 

2 comments: