Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Memorial Day Weekend

This last weekend was Memorial Day Weekend and we had a blast. Saturday morning everyone slept in. The kids didn't wake-up until 7:15 or so and so we just reveled in the quietness. It was so great. Once the kids got up we went on a Pokewalk around the high school and watched the graduation preparations. Then we made breakfast. We had waffles with leftover whip cream and raspberry pie filling. Then much to my children's chagrin we had to go out a pick weeds. We have had so much rain this year, that we haven't been able to get down the weed killer, so the weeds just keep growing.  Gaupo tackled most of the side yard below the fence while the girls and I tackled the side of the driveway and the front of the house. When we were done with that we headed to the store to pick up some groceries. We actually probably wouldn't have even needed to go to the store except we needed milk and so while we there we picked up stuff for somores, ice cream, bacon, and bananas. We should have probably stayed home. Oh well, all the stuff we got is really good. Anyway, we came home and unloaded and then had lunch and naps. When the girls woke up from their naps they were dying to watch something, but we put it off because Tia's preschool teacher was coming over to sign a book that I got for Tia. I actually have one for both my kids. It is Oh The Places You'll Go by Dr. Suess. Anyway, I was really pleased that she came over to sign it and then also so I could get a picture of them together. As soon as she left, we watch the movie Inside Out. It was good, but a little complex for kids, but it worked. Then we went out and had a hot dog roast. It was so great. I love a good fire roasted hot dog and somores. I was so glad Gaupo humored me in doing that. Then we gave the girls baths and got our own showers done and called it a night.
Tia and her Teacher Ms. Gabrielle.
Gaupo, Kylee, and Tia roasting hot dogs.
Proving I was at the roast.
The rest of the crew at the roast. Tia, Kylee, and Gaupo.
Sunday was pretty normal except that Aunt Kitt came. We have really late church, so she got to our house and got settled and then met us at church, so she could walk home with us. When we got home we chatted and played for a bit and then made greasy tacos for dinner. They were so good. I wasn't going to have one, but then I did and oh boy I ate a lot of them. It is a good thing Gaupo wanted another soft taco, so I could eat the majority of his greasy tacos. Then we had ice cream for dessert. Then the girls went to bed and we played Ticket to Ride. Then we got to chatting and chatted until it was time to go to bed. We went to bed kind of early because Monday was going to be busy, and it was suppose to be early, but...

Well, we had a hard time waking up. So, we got off to a late start and we really wanted breakfast on the griddle. So, we did. We had a great breakfast of bacon, pancakes, and eggs on the griddle. While we were prepping and making that goodness, I fixed us a sack lunch for our hike. We had breakfast and then we packed up the food and headed out to Button Rock Preserve. It is about 20-30 minutes from here. I took the girls last year. Well, this year Gaupo wanted to go see this place, so we went. We got there and started up. We got up to the trail head, and I made the choice to go the long way this time. Really I should learn to just do what I know, or take the easy way, but no I wanted to see where this trail put us out at. So, my great family said okay and we hike Sleepy Lion Trail. Even though it was longer and harder I think I would actually still do it again because it was really pretty and more hiking like. It still kicked us out in time to hike the switch backs up the reservoir which I was kind of hoping it would help us by pass, but it didn't. The kids actually did really well on it and it was only when we had to do the switchbacks that Kylee got really mad. However, we made it to the water and they got to dip there feet in. We were going to rest up and have lunch, but then it started to rain, so we had the girls finish their sandwiches as we walked and promised them the snacks when we got back. They actually opened a portion of the trail that was closed the last time we were there which made the hike back really nice. So, luckily the hike back was pretty quick. We did get wet, but we dried out pretty quick. Being the AZ girl that I am, I didn't bring jackets because it was sunny and warm when we left. Luckily Tia wore hers in the car, so we had one. So, actually Kylee ended up with it and walking with me and Kitt and Gaupo took Tia and let her ride his shoulders most of the way, so they could get down faster. It wasn't exactly how I hoped the hike would end, but hey we finished and Kylee said she likes Button Rock now, so I guess it wasn't all bad.
Kitt, Tia, Me, Gaupo, and Kylee on the Trail
Tia on a stump that looks like a chair at the beginning of the hike.
Kylee on the stump.
Kylee, Gaupo, and Tia hiking another part of the trail.
Kitt, Tia, and Kylee sitting on some rocks for a bit of break.
Tia found this cool rock that had a whole with water in it. She only pretend to drink.
Me, Kylee, Tia, and Gaupo with a great view. Not yet to the destination, but we could see it.
Me, Kylee, Tia, and Kitt
Tia, and Kylee and the outlet.
Me at the outlet. (sorry still working on not looking weird during a selfie)
Kylee, Kitt, Tia, Me, and Gaupo at Ralph Price reservoir (the destination).

When we got home (around 2:30) we all took naps for awhile. Then we woke up and got the potatoes and stuff ready for dutch oven chicken and potatoes. If everything had cooked as it was suppose to we would have been ready close to 5:15ish (we were suppose to be ready by 5:00) however, the potatoes did not want to cook and so we weren't ready until about 6:00. Luckily Kitt wasn't in a hurry and our friend Rhonda who we invited over for dinner was okay with it. She said it is nice to be around young people. I really don't think she minded it and it was great to visit with her. The girls even talked her into getting on the tramp. I so wish I had a picture of it, but of course my phone was inside, oh well. Anyway, the food turned out good and we had a great visit. After Rhonda left, we watch an episode of Riders of Berk which is a TV series based on the movie How to Train Your Dragon. Then we got the girls to bed and helped Kitt pack up her things and sent her off. Then Gaupo and I chatted and watch Hogans until bed time.

It was such a great weekend. I love spending so much time with my family. I also love being outdoors and seeing this wonderful planet that God created for us. I am always amazed at the beauty of the earth. I am also amazed at how no two spots are the same. It is pretty amazing. I have such a wonderful family and I am so glad we got to spend so much time together. I am also thankful for this wonderful holiday we had to celebrate those who have given there all for our country and freedoms. It is because of them that I can worship as I please, have a family and dreams, and that I am blessed to do what I do. I know the USA has a lot of problems, but I still feel so blessed to live here.

No comments:

Post a Comment