Thursday, May 30, 2019

Miracles In A Car Wreck

On Friday at about 5:20 I got a phone call from my mom, which I missed. So, I got a text which says "call me when you have time." My mom and I talk a lot so no big deal. I call her up and she says, "Kitt and Matthew and Uncle David got in an accident on the way to Grandpa's. Everyone is okay we think. Kitt has some trauma to her face. We are waiting for results from a CT scan and a liver ultrasound, but we think she is fine. Uncle David is complaining of shoulder pain, but is fine. Matthew is fine, but pray for him because he was driving at the time of the accident." Yeah, I cried. It was a terrible phone call to receive, but the reason I am sharing this is because of the miracles both big and small that happened throughout this story. I am compiling based on stories from Kitt, Jack, Klaire, my mom, and me.

I firmly believe that if this accident wasn't suppose to happen it wouldn't have. God could have never let it happen. He could have had them be like so many other cars on the road that day that passed through safely, but he didn't. I wondered why for awhile. Why would he put so many miracles into accident? It seriously would have almost been easier to never let it happen. However, I trust that God is my Loving Heavenly Father and he wants me and my family to grow, and grow in faith. I would definitely have had to rely more heavily on that faith if the outcome had been more fatal, but I choose to believe that even if that happened he loves Me and my family enough to let us grow. So, we are so lucky that our faith gets to grow. That we are aloud to see Heavenly Father's love and still have Kitt, Matthew, and Uncle David here and well. So, here it goes.

They were driving along the Malad divide on the way to spend the long weekend with Grandpa-great. It was raining and the road was kind of a lake. They had slowed down from the 80mph speed limit to around 70 because of the water on the road. However, they hit a puddle and the car spun. Then somehow it went off the road, and the road there is a steep sided ravine and the car rolled side to side. Kitt says when it rolled she was thrown against the side and it rolled we believe about 1.5 times before coming to a stop upside down and the bottom. Everyone was hanging upside down by their seat belts. Kitt was screaming and according to Unlce David it wasn't just a scared scream it was a scream of pain. Uncle David was able to try and calm Kitt down. Matthew was able to get his door open and crawl out. Kitt knew something was wrong with her head because it felt huge, but she also knew she needed to get out of the car. She said she doesn't really even remember looking to try to avoid glass she just wanted out. Kitt crawled out through his door and then told Matthew to try and open Davids door. He was able to get that door open as well, and with some pretty tricky acrobatics to get from hanging upside down and through a maze of glass David got out of the car too. A man coming the opposite direction spotted the car lose control and immediately called 911. The accident happened close to an exit, so this man quickly exited and entered back onto the road to see if he could help. Apparently when he arrived David was still in the car and the man said, "you need to get out the gas tank could explode." This didn't do anything for Kitt's level of panic and David said it didn't help his concentration either, but I am still so grateful for this man because he got the EMT's there fast. Shortly after they were all out the paramedics and police arrived. Kitt needed to go to the hospital and the EMT's asked them where they would like to go--Malad or Tremonton. The police officer recommended they go to Tremonton and so that is where they went. They allowed David and Matthew to go with Kitt in the ambulance. Then apparently on the way David's chest started hurting, so they called the hospital to tell them there where two victims not just one. Also, apparently on the way David called Gaylynn to tell them what had happened and Gaylynn and my mom left almost immediately (they took time to leave a note for Grandpa-Great because they didn't want to wake him up from his nap to tell him).

At the emergency room they were the only ones there. My mom said when she got there, there were lots of nurses and doctors around Kitt and David and so she couldn't get to Kitt right away. Matthew was just sitting off to the side not really knowing what to do, so my mom went to him. She said they just hugged and she didn't know who was comforting who. After they comforted each other, they went to check on Kitt. Kitt's hand was apparently like 5 inches from the edge of them bed and very unlike Matthew he didn't reach out and get it, so my mom moved his hand for him. My mom reports once he got a hold of it he didn't let it go unless he had to, and he was right by Kitt's side or as close to her as he could be from then on. Kitt needed a CAT Scan, and a ultrasound of her liver. Both those machines were about 10 feet down the hall and available to them. The CAT scan was to make sure no internal damage was done to Kitt's head and the ultrasound was because she had some high liver something or others in her blood tests. All the tests came back clear for Kitt and the X-Ray they took of David's chest came back clear, so they were all released that night to go to Grandpa's.

While at the hospital, Matthew got the tow-truck driver's information. It was about 5:30 when he got it and David said he needed to call them right away to see if they could get there stuff from the car. Matthew tried, but no one answered. He came back to the room and reported that and my mom asked if he left a message. He replied, "No, do you think I should?" My mom said yes, and when he called back the guy answered. He said if they could come right away then he would wait for them. So, Gaylynn took him and he was able to get there stuff. Also, Kitt's personal phone was lost they couldn't find it anywhere when Matthew was looking at the accident. However, the tow-truck guy said "is this your phone? I found it in a puddle." It was her phone and even though it was in a puddle as far as I know it works like it never got wet. After Matthew retrieved the stuff from the car they went back to the hospital and took everyone to Grandpa-Greats'.

Also while Matthew was getting stuff at the tow truck place there was a note found on Kitt's seat that Kara had written her when Kitt moved to Colorado. I am sure it said other things, but the one thing that my mom told me it said was "no matter how many states we are apart we will always be together." This is amazing in of the fact the note was found after the tow, but also Kara went to the temple that day and felt like she needed to be in the 2:30 session not just because that was what would work best but because she needed to be. We estimate that about then is when the accident happened. She got in the 2:30 session. When she got out she saw she had a missed call from my mom and said she knew something wasn't right. Kara ended up getting a call from Jack to tell her what happened. She was in the parking lot when she heard and went back to the temple to put their names on their prayer roll. Pretty cool.

Another side-ish story is that about 10 sec before the car hydroplaned David got the prompting "your going to get in an accident. Protect your head." David heeded that prompting and layed down in the seat and grabbed the handle of the door on the other side. When the car rolled he held himself down to keep from getting crushed.

I can't figure out how to note all the miracles of this story in the story line so I am going to lay out as much of them as I can...

  • Kitt, Matthew, and Uncle David are all okay. Sore and emotionally still healing, but alive and well.
  • The accident didn't happen on a more hazardous stretch of the road.
  • The driver going the other way saw them lose control. You could not see there car from the road. If they had lost conciseness who knows how long it would have taken help to get there.
  • No one lost conciseness.
  • David responded to the prompting and protected his head.
  • Kitt didn't go into shock.
  • They all got out of the car on their own.
  • Kitt had a portion of her shirt shredded by the air bag, but her garments are not even snagged.
  • Kara's note.
  • Kara's visit to the temple at the 2:30 session.
  • Jack was not at work and was able to answer my mom's call and help her get a hold of my sisters.
  • My mom was in Idaho at the time. She would have been a wreck if she had been in AZ. Plus, I think they needed her, so she was there.
  • Uncle David was in the car. Now we are sad he got hurt, but because he was there he added weight to the car. Also he was in the back seat and not Kitt. Kitt says she doesn't know if she could have done what David did to protect himself, but because he did they are both okay. Also he was there to help calm Kitt.
  • They went to Tremonton Hospital where they were the only ones and could get the medical attention they needed.
  • The tow-truck company answered the phone, waited for them to get there stuff, and found Kitt's phone.
  • None of us kids recieved any pictures till after we knew everyone was completely okay.
  • I am glad I didn't get the phone call till after Gaupo was home from work. I wish he wasn't at the store, but at the same time it gave me time to be scared and worried and cry a little and then be brave and faithful for my children when I gathered everyone together to pray.
I am sure I am missing some of the miracle because yes, there was an accident but short of letting it happen I feel like almost every other event that happened after was just a series of miracles. Mostly this story testifies to me of divine design. I am so grateful that Kitt and Matthew and David are alive and well. I know I would struggle with God's will if the accident had taken their lives, but I hope and pray that I would still know of God's love and have the courage to see the miracles. I feel so blessed and I know the other's do too. There is a God and He does watch over and love his children even when or especially when bad things happen. There is power in keeping your covenants.

Here are the pictures I have.
Kitt's car at the bottom of the ravine.
The car at the yard.
Another pic of the car.
A beautiful but wounded Kitt on the way home from the hospital.


No comments:

Post a Comment